Probably the last photo of Will Rogers & Wiley Post shown fueling
their Vega aircraft in Point Barrow, Alaska in 1935. The two Oklahoma natives were killed shortly thereafter when their
plane crashed in the Alaskan sea after the engine quit.
American Overseas Airways Lockheed 049 "Constellation" entered
service in 1946 on AOA's transatlantic routes. AOA went to Pan American in 1950 when its North Atlantic routes were
From the data of German aeronautical research, came the elaborate designs
by the Chance Vought company which led to production of the highly unconventional tail-less F7U Cutlass. The wing, with
a sweepback of 38 degrees, was of very low aspect ratio, 3:1, and almost parallel chord. Pitch and roll controls were
combined in elevons on the wing; fins and rudders were located on the wing at the ends of the centre section. The first
F7U-1 flew on March 1, 1950, and the entire batch of this model was assigned to the Advanced Training Command at Corpus Christi,Texas
Naval Air Station during 1952. It was redesigned several times to include basic armament of four 20 mm cannon in the
upper lips of the intake fairing, with provision for underwing rocket pods. Production ended in December 1955 when 290
variants had been delivered.
Northwest Orient Airlines news release announced their operations of
a fleet of long-range Douglas DC-8C pure-jet transports on its trans-Pacific route between the U.S. and the Orient, its west
coast-Hawaii and its New York-Seattle routes. Northwest's DC-8C's were powered by four Pratt and Whitney JT4A-9
turbo-jet engines with a cruising speed of 585 mph. The plane had a normal range in excess of 5,000 miles.
Beautiful color publicity photo of Pan Am's 747.
Pan Am owned approximately 90 DC-3s including ex-military conversions
they acquired for $5,000 to $8,000 each. The airplane was noisy & uncomfortable compared to today's standards,
but was very economical and sturdy for the time. By the 1940's, 85% of the fleets of all U.S. domestic airlines
consisted of DC-3s.
1980 photograph of a Pan American 747SP near the hangar. The SP
series was a long range B747 jetliner. This mighty aircraft dwarfs the controller on the ground below the nose.
The aircraft was named the "China Clipper" in honor of the 45th anniversary of Pan American Airways original China
Clippers in 1935. Photo printed from negative.
In-flight photograph of a Pan American World Airways DC-4/C-54 commercial
aircraft. This plane served in the Pan American fleet from 1947 until 1953. This quality copy of the original
company file photograph was printed from a negative.
Terrific photograph of a Pan American Airways System Sikorsky S-43.
This was one of the famous Pan Am boat planes used to ferry passengers from the Pan Am Sea Plane Base in Miami, Florida to
the Caribbean Islands including San Juan, St. Thomas, Pointe a Petre, Port de France and Port of Spain. The original
photograph was taken on January 22, 1937. Print from negative.
This photo is of the Pan American Airways Stratocruiser Boeing 377 used
during 1950 through 1956.
Pioneer Air Lines ticket counter located at Dallas Love Field.
Short lived Pioneer flew regional flights within the Lone Star State. The airline was headquartered in Abilene, Texas.
This is a striking black & white portrait photgraph of America's
foremost female aviator, Amelia Earhart The fashionable and attractive flier had a spirit of adventure and a love of
travel. The Atchison, Kansas native set many aviation records from 1921 until her death in 1937. She was truly
a woman ahead of her time. This is a photograph originally printed from a negative.
The TWA Fleetster 20-A, a model of aircraft manufactured by Consolidated
Aircraft Company of San Diego. This plane was called the Parasol for its wing design which had an open cockpit aft of the
wingspan. It carried both mail and passengers. The parasol wing layout afforded better and more conventional wing positioning.
Although this was appreciated by the pilots who flew them, its passengers were somewhat apprehensive about sitting in
their six passenger cabin suspended by only four struts! Only seven were produced and all were operated by TWA.
A wonderful TWA publicity photograph of a stewardess carrying movie
cans from the Lockheed 049 Connie Aircraft "Star of India". This reprint was taken in 1948 to publicize the
overnight delivery of the latest movies from Hollywood to the airline's home base in St. Louis.
Vivid color photograph of the tail of a TWA Douglas DC-9 parked on the
tarmack at Saint Louis Lambert Field in the 1980's. The white plane in the background was originally Ozark Airlines
DC-9-42 repainted in the distinctive TWA red and white markings.
This particular DC-4, NC30041, MSN27251, known as the Yellowstone,
was built for the United States Air Force as C-54B-20-DC and was delivered in January 1945. It was returned to
Douglas in October 1945, converted to a passenger aircraft and delivered to United on February 15, 1946. It was later
sold to Loide Aereo Nacional of Brazil on December 14, 1957.
This particular model DC-6, NC 37503 C/N 42868, was delivered to United
on November 26, 1946. It featured pressurized cabin service and was used to inaugurate its ten-hour coast-to-coast flight
(with a single stop at Lincoln, Nebraska) on April 27, 1947. The aircraft could carry as many as 52 passengers for daytime
service or 24 sleeper-type passengers for nightime operations. The aircraft was sold to Mars Aviation on August 23,
United Airlines in 1940's advertised their Mainliner as "A
Complete Mainliner Service for Baby" for those passengers traveling with infants. The airline advertised the "Mainliner
Baby Kit" with a "Banquet for Baby" of mashed fruits & vegetables and Graham Crackers, plus Baby
Oil, Powder, Diapers and More!
The USS Yorktown CV-10 was the tenth aircraft carrier to serve in the
United States Navy. Under construction as Bon Homme Richard, this new Essex-class carrier was renamed Yorktown in
honor of Yorktown (CV-5), sunk at the epic Battle of Midway (June 1942). Built in an amazing 16.5 months at Newport
News, Virginia, the Yorktown was commissioned on April 15, 1943. Yorktown participated significantly in the Pacific
Offensive that began in late 1943 and ended with the defeat of Japan in 1945. The ship received the Presidential Unit
Citation and earned 11 battle stars for service in WWII. Much of the Academy Award winning (1944) documentary "The
Fighting Lady" was filmed aboard Yorktown.
Great photo of the Boeing 40-B-4 in 1930's at the hanger in Alhambra
Airport/Western Air College Airport in California, now an abandoned and little known airport in East Los Angeles.
A Western Airlines Captain and Stewardess are prepared to greet their
passengers aboard an aircraft at the Los Angeles Airport in California (LAX) in the fall of 1959.
This is a photo of the AT-6 used on Western Airlines inland division
for air mail flights to South Dakota during 1946.
Pilot Wiley Post is shown landing his plane the Winnie Mae
(Vega Aircraft) in a field outside Oklahoma City during the State Fair in 1934. Post and fellow Oklahoman Will Rogers
were both killed in an Alaskan plane crash the following year.
Throughout World War II, women contributed to the war effort in many
ways, earning the respect of society and laying the foundations for the women's movement. Three women mechanics
are pictured here working on aircraft.
Image Archives USA * 60 1st Street * P.O. Box 849 * Friday Harbor, WA* USA * 98250 Phone: (360) 378-9193
Powered by Register.com