Neat photograph of Paul standing in front
of his Texaco Service Station. Judging from the Plymouth Valiant at the pumps I would judge it was taken in the 1960's.
The stand at Zang Blvd and Bishop Avenue in Oak Cliff, Texas attracted
so much business that the parking of automobiles for several blocks around had become a problem for the traffic police.
The stand had patrons who came ten miles to buy barbecue, according to J.G. Kirby of Dallas, founder. Kirby was known
for using the finest meat on the market and putting quality and service first.
Pioneer Air Lines ticket counter located at Dallas Love Field.
Short lived Pioneer flew regional flights within the Lone Star State. The airline was headquartered in Abilene, Texas.
An Esther Bubley photograph of a quartet of singers at the First Baptist
Church in Tomball, Texas in 1945. This photograph is from The Standard Oil of New Jersey series of photographs documenting
the transportation industry during and after World War II.
The Sons of the Pioneers are shown here with Roy Rogers. The group
was the foremost vocal & instrumental group in western music and lasted seven decades! The group's roots lay
in the Great Depression when Cincinnati-born Leonard Slye headed to California and ended up packing fruit for Del Monte.
By chance he entered an amateur contest on an LA radio show which lead him to join a group called the "Rocky Mountaineers".
By 1933, after various name changes and additional members including a Safeway warehouse worker and a golf caddy, the new
group debuted on KFWB as "The Pioneer Trio" but were mistakenly introduced as the "Sons of the Pioneers".
They were signed to a Decca Record contract in 1934 and recorded 32 records. The Farr brothers from Texas were added
to the group in 1935. They originally teamed in the movies with Gene Autry but due to legal disputes Roy Rogers ended
up with "The Pioneers". In 1938 Pat Brady (far right) joined the group as a bass singer and comic. Roy
Rogers ended up in western movies and the "Sons" doing backup. After many years of success the group was inducted
into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1976. Now there you have it! An interesting story to go with a great photo.
Sivils Drive In and Car Hop located in both Dallas & Houston Texas
during the 1940's and 1950's. Sivils Drive In was featured in Life Magazine on February 26, 1940. Especially
known for the roller skating car hops, 500-car parking lot, satin uniforms designed by Mrs. Sivil herself, and a dance floor,
it served only Carta Blanca Mexican Beer.
Sivils hired and paid one lady to hire and oversee the carhops.
The carhops worked for tips only and had to pay a stipend to the overseer. The girls wore short, short skirts and roller skated
around the parking area. When a car pulled into the lot a man in a tower above the cafe would broadcast the parking
spot. A carhop would come to the car and place a card with her number on it on the windshield. When a car wanted
service, the driver would flash the headlights and the lookout would announce the parking area and the carhop's number.
They also had a small outdoor dance floor and juke box.
1967 photo of the coffee break on the Spade Ranch in West Texas.
Spade Ranch was the name of two separate West Texas ranches, both of which were invariably linked through the innovation of
barbed wire. Each ranch was under separate ownership.
Photo of the Charles A. Taylor Bop-City Musical Revue held in Dallas,
Texas in 1960's at The State Fair Of Texas.
Classic photograph of a Texaco Gas Station with a Cafe & Motel in
the late 1940's. This night scene captures the mood of the cool evening.
Bo Pilgrim shown here with his best friend "The Chicken."
The Pilgrims story traces its beginnings to a single feed store in the small town of Pittsburg, Texas in 1946. In the early
days brothers Aubrey & Bo would sell 100 baby chicks and a sack of feed to local farmers. The farmers would sell
the grown chickens back to the Pilgrim Brothers. Today Pilgrims Pride has 8.5 billion a year in sales and sells 9 billion
pounds of chicken and exports to 80 countries.
Famed photo of the Texas Theater in Oak Cliff, Texas in 1932.
The theater was the site of the famed 1963 capture of Lee Harvey Oswald who was fleeing the Texas School Book Depository after
the assination of President J. F. Kennedy. Still standing today, the theater is now in Dallas located at 231 W. Jefferson.
Beautiful example of Art Deco architecture, the Tower Hotel Courts was
located at 10108 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, Texas. The 108 room drive in motel advertised air conditioning, radio, television,
Muzak, swimming pool, coffee shop and drug store. It was home of the famous "Bamboo Room".
Image Archives USA * 60 1st Street * P.O. Box 849 * Friday Harbor, WA* USA * 98250 Phone: (360) 378-9193
Powered by Register.com